This is the recipe from my Cake Decoration Class Level 1, at the West Indies University, Open Campus. Trinidad & Tobago.
My first cake decorated with fondant was a small cake, 8 " round cake. I realy enjoy working with fondant. To make foundant take a lot of time, but after is ready and you cover the cake, it is so easy to work with ir. And you can make elaborated design on it.
The cake at the right was decorated by me with gum paste flowers, the monogram was done using a technique call Satin Stitch was made in Royal Icing well as all de details. I got inspaired by the book The Well Decorated Cake by Toba Garrett, that I recomend to any one who want to learn how to decorate cakes.
1 tbst gelatin
1/4 cup cold water
1/2 cup liquid glucose or corn syrup
2 lb icing sugar
Corn starch for kneading and rolling out fondant
1 oz. shortening (1 tsp.)
Foundant rolling pin
- Sprinkler gelatine over cold water in a small bowl. Leave to soften 2-3 minutes.
- Please the gelatine from the step 1 in sauce pan, add also the glucouse and the shortening.
- Put the sauce in a double boiler, until all the gelatine and shotening are disolved.
- Place a sifted icing sugar in a large bowl and add the gelatin mixture.
- Mix ingredientes with paletle. Knead until get consistancy.
Note: Brush cake lightly with corn syrup before putting on fondant.
You have to knead for a while, the final consistancy is soft, smooth, flexible, firm and shine.