We fixed the gravy... some salt, some soy sauce and flour, and ready.
Making the gravy from the roasting tray in with the turkey, chicken or other bird has just been cooked is the best way to make the gravy. So that the residues in the tray will dissolve into the gravy. If you wish add soem herbs or some chopped garlic or lemon zest.
Use tomato passata, sparingly, rather than tomato puree in gravy (the puree tend to overpower other ingredients)
- Using a large spoon, skim off most of the fat from the pan juices. Put the pan on the hob over a gentle heat. Mix 1 tbspplain flour with 1 tbsp of the chicken fat and whisk it into the remaining pan juices.
- Add 300 ml (10 fl oz) water or stock and 1 tbsp tomato passata, increase the heat and bring to the boil, whisking constinuously.
- Strain the gravy into a clear bowl and por into a warmed serving jug.
GLIBLET STOCK FOR GRAVY
- Bring the giblets to the boil with 1 diced carrot and 1 diced onion in 2 litres (3-1/2 pints) water.
- Cover with a lid, then reduce the heat so that the stock simmers.
- Once the bird (chicken, turky, goose, etc) is out of the oven , drain the fat into a bowl the deglaze the roasting tin by straining then adding the giblet stock.
- Scrape in any caramelized residues and bring to the boil.