The first time that I heard about pigtail, I could not believed that people actually eat the tail of the pig, so I opened my mind to new flavours, there is not sense to go to visit another country and expect that things taste, small and look like things from our own country. That happened some years ago, I remember that I tried Stew Pigeon Peas with Pigtail first time, I could not believe that it actually taste very good. And for me, you can add as a side dish rice and fried plantain and it is a full meal.
I invite you to taste this wonderful dish and impress your friends with something very Caribbean:
1 head of garlic
A handful of chive, spring onion and cilantro
1 whole hot pepper
1 cup of water
2 lb Frozen green pigeon peas
4 salted pigtail (300 - 400 gr)
2 scoops of margarine or oil - for cooking
300 gr. pumpkin -peeled and cut in medium size pieces
- Blend the coconut in a blender with the water
- Squeeze the blended coconut with your hands, keep the coconut milk and put away the coconut debris. Put the coconut milk aside. See pictures.
- Soak the salted pigtail (defrosted and cleaned already) in lime water for 30 minutes to remove part of the salt. In you are using unsalted pigtail, omit this step.
- In a large pot (pressure cooker), put the margarine a medium fire and add the chopped pimento and garlic. Saute. Add the pigtails previously cut in medium size pieces.
- Add the green peas and mix with the garlic, pimento and pigtails. Add the other greens.
- Add black pepper to taste.
- Add the pumpkin, mix all together. See picture below.