The chicken salad is part of the Venezuelan Christmas menu, it is a cold salad. Our Christmas menu contain chicken salad, hallaca, pan the jamon (bread filled with ham, olive and raisins), roasted pork or turkey (some people make also chicken) and baked ham decorated with pineapple. It is wow!!! of course for the meat lovers....
You can decorate the salad with green peas, asparagus, red sweet pepper, boiled egg , it is up to you, the presentation.
This is a typical recipe of Christmas Chicken Salad from Venezuela, I hope you enjoy it.
I took the pictures from http://www.elfogondepolo.blogspot.com/ soon I will issue my own chicken salad pictures, my family is coming for Christmas this week and it will be a lot of cooking at home, so I will have the opportunity to share with you all my own creation, in the mean while, the pictures will help you to have and idea about the final product.
· 1 Chicken, 3kg, cleaned and washed already, 7 cup of water and 3 spoon of salt to cook the kitchen or 8 cups of chicken meat already cooked and cut in very small pieces.
· The white part of 1 leek and some of the green, cleaned and cut lengthwise.
· 1 medium size onion cut in two
· 1 kg (2 lb.) of potato chopped like cubes 1 cm., 8 cups – 4cups of water and 2-1/2 teaspoon of salt to cook the potatoes.
· 1 carrot peeled, chopped like cubes, 1 cup – 2 cups of water and 1 teaspoon of salt to cook the carrot
· 2 tins of asparagus, 450 gr. Each one. Chopped in pieces of 2 cm each, leave some without chop to decorate.
· 2 cups of green peas, 1 tin of 450 gr.
· 1 yellow apple peeled and chopped in small pieces
· Juice of a 1 medium onion
· ½ cup of oil
· 1 scoop of English sauce Worcestershire ( or any other brand)
· ½ teaspoon of white pepper
· 5 teaspoon of salt
· ¼ cup of vinegar
· 2 teaspoon of mustard
· 2- 1/2 teaspoon of sugar
· 1- 1/2 cup of mayonnaise
1. In a pressure cooker put the whole chicken, water, salt, leek, and the onion. Boil and cook for ½ hour. Remove from the fire and let the pot get cold before opening. Take the chicken out and let it cool, set aside.
2. In another pot put the 8 cups of chopped potatoes with water and salt. Cook for 5 to 10 minutes, until are soft but firm. Remove all water with a strainer and let it cool, set aside.
3. In another pot, put the carrot, water and salt. Cook for 25 minutes; remove all water and set apart.
4. Remove the skin to the chicken. Cut the chicken in very small pieces with your hands (very small). Set aside.
5. In a big bowl and with a wooden scoop mix the chicken, the potatoes, the carrots, the asparagus, 1 cup of green peas and apples.
6. Prepare the vinaigrette mixing in a bowl the onion juice, the oil, the English sauce , the vinegar, the mustard, the sugar, the salt and white pepper.
7. Add the vinaigrette to the bowl with the chicken and the cooked veggies. Remove slowly with the wooden scoop. Add the mayonnaise. Remove slowly until everything has mayonnaise.
8. Put the salad in the display tray. Even the salad, to make flat the top. Decorate the salad with 1 cup of green peas and the whole asparagus.
9. Put in the refrigerator for 2 hours. Serve it cold.