Monday, May 9, 2011

Moist Yellow Cake Recipe

Happy Mother's Day my Dear Mami !!!



Can you see this picture, I made this cake for Mother's Day. I was so excited about making this cake and decorate it. This is my second time making flower and the first time that I made the icing right!! WOW ! I am so happy, It is coming out.

My mother is in Venezuela, but my mother-in-law is here, so I decided to give her my creation as Mother's Day present. It look so cute, and I still looking at the pictures and I cannot believe it, I did it myself. My mother-in-low loved it!!

For Mothers' Day the teacher asked us to get a heart shape pan, and bake a cake... but she was very specific to make a cake from scratch. I got a small cake pan for this project, I can call it "a personal cake" well it is not that small, it is the equivalent to a 6" round pan.

The recipe that I tried this time is from The Well-Decorated Cake by Toba Garrett, her book have a section with recipes for cakes, icing, filling, etc. I decided to make the MOIST YELLOW CAKE, this recipe was a success, very easy, the cake is very moist but firm, and delicious. I found that this book is very good, very technical and really help to improve or acquire skills in cake decoration. Get the book here.

Here I bring the recipe for this cake, from Toba Garrett.


MOIST YELLOW CAKE (no baking experience is required)

Ingredients:
3 cups (330 g) cake flour
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup ( 8 oz or 230 gr) unsalted butter, room temperature
2 cups (454 g) granulated sugar
5 large eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
1-1/4 cups (10 fl oz or 300 ml) buttermilk (for buttermilk substitute)

  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Butter and line with parchment (I used wax paper)  two 8 x 2 -inch (20 x 5 -cm) pans. Set aside (actually I used 1no. 6 -in round cake and 1 no. 6" heart shape cake)
  • In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
  • Cut up the butter into 1-inch pieces and place them in a large bowl of an elecrica mixer, fitted with a paddle attachment or beaters. Beat for 3 minutes on MEDIUM-HIGH speed until the butter is light and creamy in color. Stop and scrapthe bowl. Cream the butter for and additional 60 seconds.

  •  Add the sugar , 1/4 cup at a time, beating1 minute after the each addition. Scrape the sides of the bowl occacionally. Add the eggs one at a time. 


  • Reduce the mixer speed. Stir vanilla into the buttermilk. Add teh dry ingredients alternately with the buttermilk ( I used buttermilk subtitute). Mix just until incorporated. Scrap thesides of the bowl and mix for 15 second longer.



  • Spoon the butter into the prepared pan (in my case 'pans') and smooth the top with a knife. Lift up the pan with the bater, and let it drop onto the counter top to burst any air bubble, allowing the batter to settle.
  • Cener the pans unto the lower third of the oven and let bake 45 to 50 minutes or until the cake is lightly brown  on the top and comes away from th sides of the pan and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.


  • Note let them cool in the pan. I like to place the cake (hot) on a rack to help air pass below. I believe that cool fastes


  • Here "my heart" without paper and the round cake with the wax paper. Remove the paper very carefully to do not pull the cake.
  • And now the beautiful heart, decorated with ROYAL ICING - recipe here. In the Caribbean we use more ofter the Royal Icing than the Buttercream. I add a little bit of read to create a very light pink. I add a little bit more of red to teh icing to make the shells and I add color gel red directly to the bag (3 lines) and I put the icing int the piping bag to create the effect that you see in the shells (Tip no. 18). Video how to make shells here.
  • For the roses I added more decorator's sugar to the icing (pink) to make it harders and make the roses, and I added more red gel color to the icing, to create a more intense pink color. I made 6 no. 3 petal roses and 6 no. 5 petal roses.I put three litle piping roses (3 petals) at the side to fix a problem with the icing.  Wilton Tip 104. I will post very soon how I made the roses.

  • Note: I wrote first the message (Wilton Tip No. 4), then in the space left I placed the flowers.

  • I add some leave in a light green color, I used Wilton tip No. 352, I found that it is the easier way to make a leaf.


  • The cake ready and in the box.




Moist Yellow Cake on Foodista

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...