Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Have you ever Heard about Breadfruit Punch

I found another way to use the bread fruit, this is very original. This recipe was taken from  the  first issued of the Trinidadian magazine Dougle in Season (http://www.douglatt.com/).  I could not resist to get this recipe, it is very interesting to see what you can do with this fruit. Last time I found a recipe in our local newspaper featuring a chocolate candy made with breadfruit, very original. This fruit is very versatile, a few people know who to use it in the kitchen, so I will get as much information about this fruit an its use in the kitchen as I can. I hope you enjoy.

I will try to get a bread fruit for next week to try this recipe, it look like the rice chicha (Venezuelan drink) in principle. I will let you know my experience.

Serve 6

Ingredients:
1 ripe breadfruit
1/2 cup evaporated milk
18 - oz can condensate milk
1 tsp vanilla essence
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
sugar to taste
2 tbsp rum (optional)

Method:

  1. Bring a large pot of salted water to boil.
  2. Cut bread fruit into quarters and remove the heart and seeds. Remove the skin.
  3. Boil quarters in water until they are soft. -Do not discard water
  4. In a electrical blender, combine bread fruit and evaporated milk. Blend. Slowly add condensed milk, and blend until smooth.
  5. Add vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg to the mixture and stir with a wooden spoon. Add sugar to suit your taste.
  6. If the punch is too thick , add some of the water used to boil the breadfruit to achieve desired consistency.
  7. Chill for at least 2 hours. serve with ice
Dougla is a new cooking magazine from Trindiad and Tobago, I am really happy for the initiative of Sonja Sinaswee, for  her work  as well as everybody working together with her to carry out this project. I wish them the best in this jurney. I got a lot of information about Trinidadian food, that I will eventually featuring time to time.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...