The recipes that I will post here, will bring a touch of the Caribbean (East Indian Cuisine) to your party without burning your guests mouth, but for their pleasure.
Serves 6 or more
2 cups ground split peas or channa
1/2 tsp. saffron powder
4 tsp. baking powder
Serving size (13g)
Calories per serving 260, Calories from fat 11
6 large dasheen leaves (spinach)
2 cups ground split peas
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
1 tsp. turmeric powder (saffron) head chive, finely chopped
2 tbsp. flour
2 tsp. salt
pepper to taste
1/4 cup flour seasoned with salt and pepper or phulourie batter (see phulourie recipe above)
- Remove stems of dasheen leaves and wash with juice of lime.
- Combine split peas, garlic, onion, turmeric, chive, flour, salt, pepper and enough water to make a spreading paste
- Spread paste on leaves and arrange one on top of the other.
- Roll up and tie with string.
- Steam for 15 minutes: cool.
- Cut in 1" slices, coat with seasoned flour or split pea paste and fry in hot fat until light brown
- Drain on kitchen paper. Serve ht
Serving size (71
Calories per serving 107 calories from fat 11
Makes approx. 30 (Serves 15)
1 1/2 cups. all purpose flour
3/4 tsp. salt
2 tbsp. oil
1/2 cup warm water
1 cup freshly chopped ginger
1 clove garlic (finely chopped)
1/2 cuo finely chopped onion
2 tsp. curry powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tbsp. vinegar
1/2 lb. ground lean beef or lamb
1/2 cup hot water
1 tbsp. freshly chopped coriander or parsley
1 tsp. garam massala
1 cup oil for deep-frying
- Put flour and salt in mixing bowl: add 1 tablespoon oil and warm water.
- Mix until they are combined: knead mixture for 10 minutes until it is smooth and elastic.
- Heat remaining oil in frying pan; saute ginger, garlic and 1/4 cup onion until is soft and golden.
- Add curry powder, salt and vinegar and mix well.
- Ass minced meat; saute over high heat until redness disappears.
- Reduce heat, add water and cover; simmer until meat is tender and liquid is adsorbed.
- Near end of cooking add corriander, garam massala and remaining onion: cook for 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and cool filling.
- Form small pieces of dough in balls.
- On a lightly floured board, roll each one thinly to a circule about the size of a saucer.
- Cut in half and place two tablespoon of meat filling on each half circule. Fold over and seal edge into trianglular shape.
- Deep-fry in oil until golden brown.
Serving size (35 gr)
Calories per serving 85 calories from fat 53
Makes approx. 1cup
2/3 cup shelled tamarind
1-1/2 cup water
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1-1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. minced garlic
1 tsp. finely chopped chadon beni (cilandro)
1/2 - 1 tsp. hot pepper, finely chopped
- Combine tamarind and water and water and bring to the boil, remoce from heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Crush tamarind mixture to release pulp, seeds and covering the seeds. Discard seeds and fiber from seeds.
- Return tamarind mixture to heat and add sugar, salt, garlic, chadon beni and hot pepper until sugar and salt are dissolved.
Serving size (30 g)
Calories per serving 22 calories from fat 0